This is a photo from Bærums Verk, which is a very nice place right outside of Oslo.
Approximately 400 years ago, King Christian IV of Denmark and Norway wanted his kingdom to be selfsufficient in iron production. His wish became reality when an iron ore was discovered at Kirkerud- and Eineåsen in Bærum. In 1610, Paul Smelter was given the King's commission to set up a melting house at Wøyen. In 1622 the first smelting furnace in the country was built here. In 1641 the ironworks was moved to where its remains are found today. During the ironwork's heyday, everything from cannon balls and cannons to bar iron, armoured plates and rivets were produced. Later items, such as ovens, grave ornamentations, kitchen utensils, hardware and machine parts gradually became the mainstays of production. Five lighthouses were also casted at Bærums Verk. One well known lighthouse, - "Færder" (1855) is standing at the entrance of the Oslo Fjord. The Løkke Bridge in Sandvika was casted at the ironworks in 1829, and in 1895 it was immortalized by the French impressionist painter, Claude Monet. 1872 saw the end of the meltery and the beginning of a foundry and mechanical workshop that lasted until 1964. The area surrounding Bærums Verk saw an extensive housing boom in the 1980's which created the cornerstone for the development of Handelsstedet Bærums Verk.
Several of the old buildings have been kept well, there are art and crafts shops, restaurants and exhibitions. When we visited we had a nice meal at the Pancake House.
THE GALLERY KUNSTVÆRKET has permanent exhibitions of acknowledged Norwegian artists, along with guest artists.
JOHAN FREDRIK ARNTZEN has his gallery and workshop in Verksgata 9B. His work in wood is inspired of boats and waves.
EGENART Glassblowers with gallery and workshop.
STABBURSKAPELLET (The Chapel). The tiny chapel was consecrated by the bishop of Oslo in 1993. It is popular for weddings and for smaller churchceremonies.Photo: by Lothiane